Photo: Greg Wagoner (Flickr)
The Indiana State Fair Commission Thursday adopted a comprehensive emergency management plan for the Fair and Fairgrounds that comes in response to last year’s stage collapse.
The plan’s development was led by new state fair Chief Operating Officer David Shaw and Director of Safety and Security Jessie Olvera. Recommendations from investigations into the stage collapse and input from eight agencies including the Department of Homeland Security and the State Police were incorporated to produce the more than four hundred page document.
Shaw says it’s one of the most comprehensive plans he has ever seen.
“The plan covers all gamuts of all aspects of possible emergencies,” he says. “We’re really proud to have the plan moving forward today.”
The plan includes detailed checklists and emergency response protocols, pre-approved scripts for public address safety announcements and a strict chain of command in case of emergency with Shaw at the top.
“I’m absolutely prepared to make those decision,” he says. “The decisions are laid out in the standard operating procedures for the cancellation, evacuation and postponement of events.”
All State Fair employees are required to go through extensive online training involving the emergency management plan.