A Senate committee Thursday cut in half the amount of transportation money set to be released to the Indiana Department of Transportation.
Last year’s budget set aside $400 million for the Major Moves 2020 fund to be used for major highway projects in the future. The first $200 million was deposited into the fund last year; the second $200 million was going to be deposited this year. The House passed a bill releasing all of the money to INDOT with no strings attached. Changes approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee will still give INDOT the first $200 million. But Appropriations Chair Luke Kenley says the rest of the money will be held until 2015.
“And when we have our budget discussions next year,” Kenley said. “If we want to keep it in the fund or if we want to roll it to maintenance, we’ll have the opportunity to decide that.”
Speaker Brian Bosma says House and Senate leadership are still working with the governor to settle on a good balance for the Major Moves dollars:
“We’re evolving in our position, trying to find the right spot where everyone is comfortable,” Bosma said. “Both those who are aggressive on projects and those who are aggressive on maintaining the state’s reserves.”
The bill now heads to the Senate floor.