Photo: Judy Baxter (Flickr)
Seven Indiana schools will now face state intervention after receiving failing grades for the sixth consecutive year.
18 schools were on probation with five consecutive years at the lowest performance rating. State Superintendent Tony Bennett announced Friday seven did not show necessary improvement.
“Let me be blunt,” he said, “these schools have failed these children for far too long.”
Of the seven schools facing state intervention, six are in Indianapolis, the other is in Gary. Bennett says the state board of education will now determine what sort of state intervention will take place.
It could be revising the school’s existing improvement plan, or, in more extreme circumstances, taking over or closing schools.
“My heart is heavy that the state has to do this,” Bennett said. “But with a heavy heart comes some of the most strong resolve that you will ever see that our children will receive what they deserve.”
On a brighter note, Bennett announced Friday 11 out of 18 schools which had been deemed “failing” for five consecutive years improved in the sixth year. That means they will be removed from probation. Bennett says the schools who improved show that accountability works.
“When the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change,” he said, “we have seen that people will ultimately change.”
State intervention plans will be decided and announced in August.