Give Now

Purdue Says Steffey Was Intoxicated

A consulting firm says Steffey was intoxicated when he stumbled into a utility room and was electrocuted. However, the door to the vault wasn't properly locked.

An outside firm hired by Purdue’s lawyers to investigate the electrocution of a 19-year-old student concludes that Wade Steffey was drunk when he wandered into an electrical utility room. But the report by Rimkus Consulting says the door to the vault wasn’t properly locked. The consulting firm says spot checks of doors at other buildings show defective latches that don’t really deadbolt the door. The 19-year-old Bloomington native died January 13, when he mistakenly entered the utility room while trying to gain access to a dormitory to retrieve a jacket. His body was found two months later.

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Support For Indiana Public Media Comes From

Search News

Stay Connected

RSS e-mail itunes Facebook Twitter Flickr YouTube

Follow us on Twitter

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Recent Stories

Recent Videos

Find Us on Facebook