Forensic investigators believe the man whose remains were found Monday in a woods in east-central Monroe County was planning to camp there for the night. Sheriff Department’s spokesman Kenneth Barnes said information from Indianapolis forensic pathologist Stephen Nawrocki suggests the man’s remains may have been in the woods since fall of last year.
“Information from Dr. Nawrocki would age the person at middle 50s,” Barnes said. “[He has] likely been in the woods for months.”
Barnes said police have not yet been able to identify the man, but suspect he may have been homeless.
“There are certain steps and again searching case reports and missing person reports and several other things to help us identify [the body].”
Forensic pathologists continue to scour the scene in search of clues to the man’s demise.