The Monroe County Coroner says the death of an IU student this weekend was caused by smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning. Freshman Renee Ohrn died Saturday morning when a fire broke out at Terra Trace Apartments near the IU campus.
The fire started on the second floor of the building – underneath the unit where firefighters found Ohrn.
Andrea Fancher lived in the building and was home when the fire began. She says she did not hear a fire alarm.
“Had a loud alarm gone off, like throughout the building, we would have been out there before,” Fancher said. “I can’t believe that we were one of the first few and the second floor was gone by then – we should have been notified before somehow.”
Bloomington Fire Chief Roger Kerr says a person was rescued from the balcony of the same apartment where Ohrn was found.
The Bloomington Fire Department is still investigating the cause of the fire.