Indiana is looking to extend its Do Not Call policy to cell phones.
More than a decade ago, Indiana passed a law making it illegal for solicitors to contact residents whose numbers were on the Do Not Call list. Attorney General’s office spokesperson Bryan Corbin says the law was passed to combat bothersome, unwanted solicitation.
“There had been a long problem in the state of Indiana with telemarketers, telephone solicitors, calling people at home,” he says, “without their permission, and making sales pitches that people didn’t want to receive and often times they would call in the evening when people were trying to have dinner or trying to sleep and it became very annoying and was a real nuisance.”
The proposed bill passed through the Indiana Judiciary Committee on Tuesday and will move to the Indiana House before it officially becomes state law. Corbin says it is beneficial for the law to be updated with the technology, since many people today do not have a traditional land line. Anyone who registers their cell phone as their primary residential number can add that number to the Do Not Call list.
Corbin says that anyone sign up for the Do Not Call list at the Attorney General’s web site.