Delays, Closings and Severe Weather - View All Alerts and Updates

IHCDA Working With FEMA On Home Buyout Program

The IHCDA is working with FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security to buyout homes across the state that are in areas prone to flooding.

Flooded home

Photo: DVIDSHUB

The IHCDA is working with FEMA and the Dept. of Homeland Security to buyout homes around Indiana that are in areas prone to flooding.

The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority is working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Homeland Security on a buyout of homes in areas around the state designated by FEMA as lying within the floodplain.

Under the program, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the cost to acquire and demolish the homes, with the IHCDA paying the remaining 25 percent.

Brian Philps, Outreach and Communications Projects Manager for the IHCDA, explained how the program got started.

“Through the Indiana Disaster Recovery Plan, we identified an allocation of funding to support such projects working with FEMA and Homeland Security in order to be able to provide that 25 percent local match,” Philps said.

IHCDA and FEMA have about 30 project sites across Indiana.  One of the sites is in the city of Brazil.

Pogues Run, a stream running beneath Brazil, was tunneled and paved more than 100 years ago by the WPA to allow for infrastructure above.  The tunnel has broken down over the last several years from wear and tear, causing consistent flooding and significant damage to nearby properties.

Despite recent repairs to the tunnel,  FEMA-led inspections identified 11 properties in the most commonly flooding areas for phase one of the program and eight properties for phase two.

Teresa Glenn, Planning and Zoning Administrator for Brazil is enthusiastic about the project.

“I think it’s a great program,” Glenn said.  “I’m happy for these people that they’re going to get a fair market price for their homes and getting out of this hazardous way so that they can rebuild their lives maybe and not have to worry about this flooding.”

Two separate appraisals were conducted on each property, then averaged to determine a fair offer.  Flood damage to the home and the area’s propensity to flooding were not factored into the appraisals.

The total cost of the project in Brazil is $759,000 and includes all purchase, demolition, and project management fees.

While the buyout isn’t mandatory, all but three accepted the offer. Attorneys are currently scheduling closings for the sale of the properties, after which the city will likely re-purpose the areas for public green space.

Will Healey

Will Healey is a reporter for WFIU/WTIU News. He has studied Creative Writing and Philosophy at Fordham University in New York and Journalism at Indiana University's School of Journalism. He is excited to be part of the team and report on issues that impact the lives of Hoosiers.

View all posts by this author »

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Support For Indiana Public Media Comes From

Search News

Stay Connected

RSS e-mail itunes Facebook Twitter Flickr YouTube

Follow us on Twitter

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Recent Environment Stories

Recent Videos

Find Us on Facebook