Delays, Closings and Severe Weather - View All Alerts and Updates

No One Hurt In Tuesday Electrical Blast Outside Statehouse

No one was injured when an electrical malfunction caused an explosion and fire near the Indiana Statehouse.

Photo:

About 15 people evacuated the Statehouse after the fire, and some offices lost power.

There were some anxious moments at the Indiana Statehouse Tuesday, caused by an underground electrical fire just below the office windows of Governor Mitch Daniels. About 15 people evacuatedthe building. The governor wasn‘t there but a witness says staff members headed for the door after an explosion which sounded to some like cannon fire. Some who were seated near the window said they could feel the heat. Indianapolis firefighters had the fire out within minutes.   Indiana State Police First Sgt. Dave Bursten told reporters there are no injuries. Indianapolis Power and Light representatives will attempt to determine the fire’s cause and perform any necessary repairs.

Network Indiana

Network Indiana Indiana's Only Audio News Network. Network Indiana is dedicated to providing the state of Indiana important and useful information.

View all posts by this author »

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Support For Indiana Public Media Comes From

Search News

Stay Connected

RSS e-mail itunes Facebook Twitter Flickr YouTube

Follow us on Twitter

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Indiana Public Media News:

Recent Politics Stories

Recent Videos

Find Us on Facebook