The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports an estimated 6,000 persons receive hospital emergency room care for burn injuries associated with contacting hot surfaces of room heaters, mostly in non-fire situations. Chief Kerr cautions safety first when using space heaters.
Kerr said this time of year, people should think about having their furnace inspected, or serviced by a licensed heating and cooling technician. Kerr also cautioned, “Change the filters. Make sure you don’t have anything stacked around your furnace such as furniture or curtains. Checking your smoke detectors is also important,” he said. And finally, each family “should revisit escape plans in your house in case of a fire,” Kerr said.
He also warned that in the case of a fire, once out of the house, stay out until cleared by an official.