The city of Bloomington says private developers charged with building the section of I-69 from Bloomington to Martinsville won’t complete the project until at least Aug. 2018. But the state says that information is incorrect.
The city says Isolux Corsan told them of the construction delays during a private meeting that included the Indiana Department of Transportation, Indiana Finance Authority and local officials Tuesday. The city says Isolux indicated it would not be possible to complete the project before Aug. 2018 and that negotiations with subcontractors are ongoing.
“I continue to be exceedingly frustrated with the opaque nature of this process,” Mayor John Hamilton said in a statement. “A major delay being disclosed in a small meeting is not how government should operate. Just yesterday two more people were injured in a construction zone crash. None of the partners in this project will take responsibility for the ongoing problem that this project has become for the thousands of people who rely on this transportation corridor every day.”
But, the Indiana Finance Authority says the city’s information is incorrect and the expected completion date of Section 5 is still Oct. 2017.
This isn’t the first time city officials have questioned the timing of the project. I-69 Section 5 was supposed to be complete in Oct. 2016 before it was delayed another year. Last week, Mayor John Hamilton said he wasn’t confident developers would meet that deadline.
Some subcontractors walked off the project last year because of a pay dispute with I-69 Development Partners. The IFA found the developer owed subcontractors more than $9 million.
Public Information Coordinator for I-69 Section 5 Tony Carpenter says he wasn’t aware of any further delays in construction.