Officials hope a newly-completed, $5.2 million Spencer road project will make pedestrians safer.
Among the improvements, the West State Road 46 project added sidewalks on both sides the road from the YMCA west of town to the west junction of S.R. 67 and U.S. 23—about one mile long.
O’Mara contractor Chris Williams said the construction improves safety for Owen Valley high school students in particular.
“The time that I have been here, you watch kids get out of school, walk right out to the road,” Williams said. “I am thinking this is a dangerous situation.”
The project also:
- Improved a mile-long strip of S.R. 46 starting at the YMCA west of Spencer
- Built a new S.R. 46 bridge at Meadowbrook Creek
- Installed a new latex surface on the bridge decks and placed new barrier walls at Fish Creek and Rattlesnake Creek
- Widened the roadway to create a center turn lane
- Installed a new storm sewer trunk line through the construction zone
The project started in March.