Born in 1847, Theodore Clement Steele would become part of the “Hoosier Group of impressionist painters” that would transform art in Indiana by promoting the idea of painting “out in the open.”
Enthralled by the beauty he found in Brown County, Steele and his second wife, purchased property there in 1907 and began building their home, which they named “The House of the Singing Winds.” Over the years, they also transformed their acreage with elaborate gardens and orchards. The surrounding hills and ravines inspired T.C. Steele to paint some of his best known works. As Steele’s fame spread, many visitors came to Brown County to meet the artist, see his work and tour the estate.
They established a home in Bloomington in 1922, when Steele became artist in residence at Indiana University, but each spring they returned to their Brown County residence. Steele passed away in 1926. His appreciation of nature, his intelligence and capacity for concentrated study has made T. C. Steele one of Indiana’s most respected artists.
Presented with support from The Indiana Historical Society… publishers of “Remembrance, Faith and Fancy: Outdoor Public Sculpture in Indiana.” More information at Indiana History.org