Moment of Indiana History

Camp Morton

Rufus Peck was a Union soldier serving at Camp Morton in Indianapolis. On March 1, 1862, he wrote, “We have 4000 prisoners to guard and they are a hard looking set.”

Designed to serve as a military training center, Camp Morton was located on the original site of the Indiana State Fairgrounds, and was named after Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton. With the Union victory at Fort Donelson in February 1862, Camp Morton was pressed into service as a prisoner of war camp housing thousands of captured Confederate soldiers.

The camp was commanded by Colonel Richard Owen of New Harmony, a fair man who became known for his sympathetic treatment of the prisoners. Later commanders were not as humane as Owen, and by 1863 conditions at the camp had deteriorated. Even though the camp had become infested with vermin and infectious diseases were rampant, the conditions remained much better than at other camps. In fact, Camp Morton had the lowest mortality rate among all of the Union’s prisoner of war camps.

Stay Connected

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from Moment of Indiana History:

Support For Indiana Public Media Comes From

About Moment of Indiana History

Search Moment of Indiana History

WFIU is on Twitter