Photo: Jessie Wallner/WFIU
For me, this is the ultimate summer sandwich with nice summer tomatoes and basil right out of the garden.
To start, I like rubbing a clove of garlic on the light toasted bread. This is also a great way to make garlic bread.
- 2 slices 7-grain bread
- 1 1/2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 ounces ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/2 ounce greens
- 1 ounce vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/8 ounce basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon green herb mayonnaise (or basil wasabi mayo)
- 4 pieces peppered bacon
- fresh lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Rub garlic on two slices of lightly toasted bread.
- Spread with goat cheese and tomatoes, basil leaves and bacon.
- Toast in a 350 F oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Then spread one slice of bread with green herb mayonnaise. (We used basil wasabi mayonnaise, which is exactly what it sounds like: add minced basil and wasabi to your taste to regular mayo.)
- Layer the toast with avocado (sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper) and greens.