Photo: whitneyinchicago (Flickr)
The trouble with heading back to school is that it invariably happens when it still feels like summer. Sitting in a hot classroom on a sunny, summery day can be a total downer.
While I can’t do much about the weather or the school calendar, I can offer my kids a few cool and refreshing after school treats to help them beat the back to school blues.
I will welcome them home with a frosty glass of watermelon lemonade, a sweet and refreshing drink I can feel good about serving. It’s nothing more than watermelon, ice, lemon juice and a splash of honey blended until thick. I have also used frozen strawberries, grapes, peaches and raspberries to make an even thicker, slushy-like drink.
- 4 cups ice
- 4 cups seedless watermelon chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey (or you can use sugar)
- pinch of salt
- In a blender combine all ingredients. Puree until smooth. (You may have to stop it a few times to make sure it is blending evenly.)
- Serve right away or refrigerate. The juice will separate as it sits, but just stir it again to combine.