Photo: David Lenker (Flickr)
Chawt is a favorite snack in India. Since you can make it with almost anything, the dish is especially good for recycling leftovers.
I love making and baking chawt with home-baked bread and whatever vegetables I have around. Here is a quick and simple recipe.
- 1/2 loaf whole-wheat bread
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red/yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 pinch tumeric
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break bread into small pieces, and mix in all the other ingredients except cilantro and oil/butter.
- Grease a baking tray with oil or butter, place chawt on the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!