Photo: Kiditamae (flickr)
Oven “fried” sweet potatoes can be a bit tricky because sweet potatoes have a high moisture content. If you want really crunchy fries – dust the potatoes with potato starch or use Okinawan sweet potatoes!
Sweet potatoes can range from pale yellow to vivid orange and purple – use a mix of these for a beautiful dish. The orange ones are full of beta-carotene, but all varieties contain loads of antioxidants, vitamin A (helps your immune system, as well as eye and bone health), fiber, potassium (which lowers you blood pressure), and vitamin B6 (reduces inflammation).
My son loves these fries. Sometimes he will eat an entire sweet potato when I prepare them this way.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 pounds assorted sweet potatoes cut into 1/4 in strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (for those crispy fries)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Toss sweet potatoes in oil, salt, pepper, and starch (if using)
- arrange potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet
- Bake 10 minutes
- Turn potatoes with spatula
- Bake 12 minutes more – or until golden brown.