In many parts of the country, you can find fresh strawberries right now at your local farmers markets, or you could visit a u-pick strawberry farm where you can select your own berries right from the field.
This recipe features an old favorite: my legendary buttermilk biscuits.
We’ve also made our own yogurt for this dish. If you want to try that yourself, check out this recipe.
Strawberry Shortcake With Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits And Yogurt
- 3-4 cups strawberries
- 1/2-3/4 cup maple syrup (Grade B - we're using local syrup from Burton's Maple Farm in Medora, IN)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- fresh mint
- pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- buttermilk biscuits
- vanilla ice cream
- plain yogurt
- Prepare biscuits according to recipe (can be done ahead). If you've prepared them ahead, warm biscuits in oven.
- In a medium bowl, mix the maple syrup, lemon juice, mint, and salt and pepper with the strawberries. Toss to cover strawberries completely. Let macerate 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the warm biscuits in halves. Place the bottom half on a plate.
- Top the warmed biscuit halves with the strawberry mixture and then top that with the vanilla ice cream and.
- Finish with another layer of strawberries and top with the remaining biscuit halves.
- Drizzle dollops of plain yogurt around the dish and garnish with extra mint leaves. Serve immediately.