This recipe is as simple as it sounds.
I’m using some Italian plum tomatoes, because they are meaty and have less seeds and jelly. If you were to roast a juicy heirloom variety of tomato, for instance, it would fall apart.
I love fresh oregano, basil and other Tuscan flavored herbs on my roasted tomatoes. I also love garlic — lots and lots of garlic! This recipe features 8 cloves of garlic, more than one clove per tomato, but feel free to add as much or as little as you prefer.
Some people like to put some sugar or honey on roasted tomatoes to intensify their sweetness. If you want some additional acidity, throw in a couple teaspoons of white vinegar.
- 5-6 Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup oregano, basil (or Herbes de Provence)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons honey/sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar (optional)
- Slice tomatoes into quarters. Chop herbs finely and remove large stems. Dice jalapeños.
- Toss tomatoes with herbs, jalapenos, salt and pepper and oil. Spread seasoned tomatoes on cookie sheet.
- Roast tomatoes in 375-400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes until they start to caramelize.