Photo: Megan Meyer/WFIU
Grandma Orr’s Polish Rutabaga Mash
Root vegetables like rutabagas are all the rage in the cold months. They are often coated in wax to preserve them, so make sure to slice off that shiny outer layer before cooking. To get rid of some of their bitterness, blanch the rutabagas before cooking. And don’t be surprised to see your rutabagas turn a carrot-like orange when they cook!
This recipe combines the rutabagas with potatoes for a twist on your traditional mashed potato recipe.
- 1 medium rutabaga (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover rutabaga with water and bring to a boil. Cook halfway, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Place stock, rutabaga, potatoes, salt, and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Mash to a smooth consistency, adding butter and pepper. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and carved apple slices.
Black Eyed Pea Salad
Sure, black-eyed peas are traditionally served around New Year’s, and we are already two weeks into 2011, but it’s never too late to bring some extra luck into your life. (It’s believed that they bring prosperity.) That, and this recipe is a fabulous way to use fresh winter greens.
Photo: Andrew Olanoff/WFIU
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (plus a teaspoon of the grated zest)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups peeled and diced cucumbers
- 1 14-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 2/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- A big handful of herbs such as mint, cilantro, parsley and scallions – roughly chopped
- Whisk oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
- Add cucumber, black-eyed peas, bell pepper, feta, onion and olives.
- Toss to coat.
- Just before serving add the herbs.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled