It’s that time of the year when the weather is balmy and the berries are sweet. The fruity and floral aroma of fresh strawberries is nature’s perfume.
A cool and refreshing way to enjoy plump berries is in a salad with a light and refreshing dressing.
Plump strawberries come together with crunchy jicama, herbaceous cilantro and succulent cucumber all lightly dressed with a honey kissed lime dressing. A hint of heat from fresh chiles rounds out the sweetness of the berries.
This salad is wonderful over mild greens or can be served alongside grilled chicken, turkey or pork.
Strawberry Jicama Salad
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into small dice
- 1 cup jicama, peeled and cut into small dice
- ½ cup cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 serrano chile, stem and seeds removed, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chive blossoms or minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine strawberries, jicama, cucumber, chile, cilantro and chive blossoms.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil and agave until well combined.
- Add dressing to the salad and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve alone as a refreshing salad over greens or as a side to compliment grilled pork, chicken or turkey. Keep chilled until ready to serve.