Photo: Megan Meyer/WFIU
In my experience, people are often intimidated by the way celery roots look when they see them in grocery stores or at the farmers market. But they’re nothing to be afraid of!
Here’s a great recipe for a raw celery root remoulade (or in English, salad).
You can also easily make this dish vegan by using our recipe for tofu sour cream.
Raw Celery Root Remoulade
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pound celery root, quartered, peeled, and coarsely grated just before mixing
- 1/2 tart green apple, peeled, cored, julienned
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Slice off the tough, brown skin of the celery root. Using a mandolin, julienne the celery root and apple (matchstick cut).
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and parsley in a medium-sized bowl.
- Fold in the celery root and apple and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.