Photo: Heather Tallman
I have had quite a dilemma this summer in the varying times both of my children wake up.
My younger child wakes up bright and early three days a week when he has swimming, but on his off days I am lucky if he is up by 10:00am. The older guy is always, without fail, awake by 7:30am. He is my little alarm clock and always has been. That’s great during the school year, but in the summer feeding them breakfast at two different times can be a real drag. I have not graduated to the level of the mother that lets her kids forage for their own meals yet, and I don’t know if I will ever get there.
What I have decided is that I need to have something on hand for each of them to grab and eat at their chosen breakfast time. That way I don’t feel like I am in the kitchen so much. Some mornings I feel like I no sooner get breakfast cleaned up when one asks about lunch! I know those of you who are home with your kids right now know what I mean.
Food At The Ready
So, to combat their early morning cravings I keep a few dishes on hand and at the ready.
Of course baked oatmeal is a family favorite as well as fruit salads and granola. We eat a lot of this during the school year so I like to shake it up a bit and try new things.
This is where the peaches comes in.
I have a base muffin recipe that I use and I add in whatever is in season or what I have on hand. Right now I have a bounty of peaches.
This is a hearty morning muffin that is healthy and not one you would have to worry has fillers and artificial flavors. I do not add sugar to the batter but if you want it to have a sweeter taste you can add two tablespoons of brown sugar. It all depends on how ripe your peaches are. The more ripe, the better.
Whether you eat this with a little yogurt or as a snack in the morning, this muffin is filling, healthy and has a little bit of summer in every bite.
So, next time you are at the farmers market grab something new. Maybe a basket of peaches will be calling to you like they always do to me. Grill them, saute, add to a fruit salad or on a pizza. The fresh taste of summer can be yours!
Morning Glory Muffins With Peaches
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons milled flax seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 fresh very ripe peaches with the peel on, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey (I use Hunter's Honey Farm)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or less if you like a sweeter muffin)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. To a muffin pan, add liners or spray with a non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, add the peaches and honey. Mash them. Add the milk, brown sugar, oil and egg and blend.
- In another large bowl, combine flours, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Add wet mixture to the well in the bowl of dry mix. Lightly stir until moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden.