The tops of the kale plants have started popping up!
Unlike fully matured kale, you don’t have to discard the tough center stalks before cooking – because there are none! Just cut them into 1-2 inch pieces. Remember, these suckers shrink when you cook them.
These tips are still hardy and can stand with sweet potatoes as a whole meal. I served this dish with crusty bread, because I live in Indiana and cannot get enough carbs. I would die on the Atkins diet.
Young Kale With Sweet Potatoes
- One bunch Kale tips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Cut potatoes into chunks, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and roast in 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes (until tender).
- When the potatoes are almost done, heat oil in skillet. Add garlic and onion and lightly cook, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add kale to skillet and turn to coat. Cook another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and red wine vinegar.
- When roasted potatoes are finished roasting, add to kale and toss. Serve and enjoy. Leftovers are great cold, too!