Photo: WFIU Staff
The word “salsa” simply means sauce, so within that broad category, there’s a lot of room to get creative. If you’re not quite ready to try making your own salsa from scratch, you can still get creative with store-bought salsa.
Pick some fresh herbs from the garden and add them to your taste!
If you have some pineapple, fresh berries or peaches, you could throw some of those things in this salsa as well.
Invigorating Store-Bought Salsa
- 1 pint store-bought salsa
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- garlic scapes
- Thai basil and Italian basil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- scallions (bottom third, including white and green portions)
- lemon zest
- Use whatever herbs in whatever amounts that please your palate. Taste as you go!
- Remove the stems from the herbs and roughly chop them.
- Dice garlic scapes and scallions.
- Add olive oil to salsa to prevent the herbs from oxidizing with the acid in the tomato and the lime.