Photo: Laura Gilmore (Flickr)
In one of the Hunger Games books, Katniss recalls “empty days” when you just feel empty and hungry no matter what you eat.
Even though I don’t live in District 12 (I think Indiana is technically in District 6), I still have those days — days I need something to fill me up and leave me satisfied.
This soup does the trick. It’s pretty cheap too and much tastier than simply eating District 12 ration grain drop biscuits! You probably already have all the ingredients on hand.
Hunger Games Drop Dumpling Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot. Saute onions for 3-4 minutes before adding celery, carrots and broccoli. Cook until tender.
- Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes to let the flavors mingle.
- Pour in vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes. While this is happening, mix flour, water, baking powder and parsley. The doughy mix should be sticky but not runny.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mix into the simmering soup. Cook for another 7-10 minutes until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Serve with chives on top.