Photo: Rashad Mammadov/WFIU
This spunky Caribbean coleslaw uses fresh-picked red and white cabbage.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted in a dry saute pan until lightly smoky
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, cut chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 2 large carrots, cut julienne (in thin strips)
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, very roughly chopped, use stems, too
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Whisk honey, cider, lemon juice, cumin, curry, olive oil, and jalapeno together.
- Toss with cabbage, carrot, and onion and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add cilantro and season to taste.