Photo: Jessie Wallner/WFIU
One can only eat so many raw cucumbers slices with hummus! With six cukes to eat this week, courtesy of the weekly CSA share, we needed a better solution.
This recipe uses all the cucumbers and plenty of fresh herbs to transform a traditional gazpacho recipe into something new.
Serving Size: Serves 8-10 folks
- 6 cucumbers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 5 scallions
- 1 cup assorted herbs (basil, dill, chives, mint, parsley, etc.)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Garnishes:
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, diced
- 1/2 cup herbs, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chilies, minced
- 1 cup crab or shrimp
- Combine the cucumbers, garlic, ginger, scallions, herbs, olive oil and yogurt in a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Chill well, Fold in remaining ingredients just before serving and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish bowls with cucumbers, yogurt, herbs and other condiments of your choice,
- Serve the gazpacho at the table from a large decorative tureen.