Photo: Sarah Kaiser/WFIU
My mom used to always make this dish for us. It was a way for kids to eat grapefruit.
Kids will love the caramelized brown sugar on top, but adults will enjoy the Griottine cherries. These seedless, sour cherries are soaked in a brandy syrup.
- Ruby Red grapefruit, cut in half
- brown sugar
- Griottine cherries
- Cut around the peel of the grapefruit, releasing the segments. If you like, do the same thing in between each individual segment to make it even easier to eat.
- Cover the top of the halved grapefruit with brown sugar.
- Put grapefruit under broiler until brown sugar has caramelized and the grapefruit browns slightly.
- Garnish it with a couple Griottine cherries, and pour some of the liquid from the cherry jar onto the grapefruit.