Photo: Megan Meyer/WFIU
At the end of the season, pick all your tomatoes even if they’re still green. Wrap them in newspaper and store them in a box in a cool dark place or in the bottom of your refrigerator. They’ll keep for a long time.
Or, you could fry them up and enjoy them right away!
This recipe uses the Greek Garlic Spice Blend.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 green tomatoes (large)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Greek garlic spice blend
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Core and slice tomatoes.
- Whisk together eggs and buttermilk.
- Mix cornmeal, Parmesan, garlic, and spices.
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Dredge tomato slices through a standard breading procedure (flour, egg, then breading).
- Fry until crispy.