Photo: Annie Corrigan (for WFIU)
In preparing for our Eggplant Extravaganza podcast, we asked Chef Orr to send over a few of his other favorite eggplant recipes, and here are a few more you can try:
Broiled Miso and Honey Eggplant
This recipe is also good served cold and may be used as a base for fish or meat.
- 4 medium eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup soy
- 3/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 1 teaspoon Regime Blend (see below)
- 1 teaspoon Aux Poivres (see below)
- Knife’s point cayenne
- Saute eggplant until tender. Season. Cool until needed.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and reduce to a glaze. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Brush with the glaze and broil until well caramelized and turn. Caramelize the other side and serve with a squeeze of lemon.
New Regime Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons coriander seed
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 tablespoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 stick cinnamon (1/2″)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mace
Grind in a spice grinder. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.
Aux Poivres Spice Blend
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cracked white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Szechuan pepper
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 4 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon guinea pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Coarsely crack all the peppercorns and spices separately and combine with the red pepper flakes. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Eggplant Coconut Curry
This curry is excellent when served with baked fish. Recipe yields 6 portions.
- 3 small, locally grown eggplants, cut into finger-sized pieces
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons Mellow Yellow Spice Blend (see below)
- ½ cup olive oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 spanish onion, sliced
- ½ cup fresh coconut meat, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- fresh assorted herbs such as cilantro, scallion, and thai basil, for garnish.
- Soak eggplant slices in salt water (1/2 cup salt to 2 cup water) for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your flour: Mix flour, salt, pepper, and Mellow Yellow.
- Drain eggplant and squeeze out excess water in a towel.
- Dredge eggplant in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Add olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add eggplant in an even layer.
- Once eggplant is nicely browned on both sides, add peppers, onion, coconut, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook until vegetables soften, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, add lime juice, and garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
Mellow Yellow Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, dried
- 2 ea. bird peppers, dried, or small hot chilies (or to taste)
Place ingredients in a spice grinder and blend until they form a fine, consistent powder. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Grilled Eggplant, Prosciutto & Mozzarella, Basil
Yield: 1 portion
- 3 thin slices globe eggplant, (about 1 ounce)
- 3 mozzarella pieces, but into thick batons (about 2½ ounces total)
- 3 Basil leaves
- ½ ounce prosciutto, sliced paper thin
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ ounce mesclun
- 2-3 Grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ teaspoon basil vinaigrette (recipe below)
- opal basil leaves/sprig for garnish
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Arrange first 7 ingredients on a plate
- Top with basil vinaigrette
- Garnish with fresh herbs; top with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
Yield: 1 quart
- 2 bunches basil, leaves only
- 1 quart basic vinaigrette
- Blanch the basil for five seconds in boiling, salted water. Quickly shock in ice water.
- Squeeze the water from the basil and place in a blender.
- Add the basic vinaigrette and puree until smooth and bright green in color.
Your Eggplant Recipes
Have any recipes you’d like to share? Leave a comment or drop us an e-mail at eartheats @ gmail.com