Photo: norwichnuts (flickr)
I love cream-of-anything soup, but my picky husband claims he hates hot milk or cream.
So, I am constantly trying to find a way to make a creamy soup that can stand alone as an entire meal without the use of milk. This soup is a great compromise, without compromising taste.
You can steam the broccoli, but I like to put it in the oven with a little water. That way it half steams and half roasts which really brings outs the broccoli flavor.
This is a great way to use leftover couscous. You can also use leftover brown rice.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shallot (2 big ones)
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 cups of cooked broccoli
- 1/2 cup cooked couscous
- 1/4-1/2 cup of water or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat butter in saucepan.
- Add shallots and apple and cook until tender.
- Combine broccoli, couscous, and shallot/apple in blender or immersion blender.
- Add stock/water until desired consistency.