On Monday I wanted to have a nice, sit-down dinner. I know it may sound crazy to do this on the day I go back to work but there is something to be said about gathering at the table after a long day and sharing a meal. It forces us all to be still, unplug and talk, using words, not emails and texts.
I like to prepare a meatless dish at least two nights a week. I never set out to do this, it just happens. It is far easier to accomplish this in the warmer months when fresh food and produce are most abundant.
One such family favorite is the corn fritter. Simple, easy and tasty this little corn cake packs a powerful punch of flavor. Add whatever fresh herbs you have, top with a fresh salsa and a little crema and you have a nice, light meal!
Corn And Black Bean Fritters
- 4 ears fresh corn, blanched and kernels cut off the cob, or two cups of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 6 oz. package cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl mash the beans with a fork. Add corn, corn bread mix, egg, ground chili, cumin, salt/pepper, and water. Stir to combine.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle. Add batter, like pancakes, to the oiled pan. Spread out with the scoop to make sure it cooks all the way through.
- I like to top mine with a fresh tomato salsa, cilantro and a little crema. Eat immediately and enjoy!