Photo: Wally Hartshorn (Flickr)
The last few days here in Austin, Texas have been blazing hot. Too hot to cook anything elaborate, but I still want something filling and delicious.
So, during the hot summer season I like to stock my fridge with cooked grains, rice and beans to make quick, simple and nutritious sides and salads.
Today, it’s a spin on tabbouleh. I use quinoa instead of bulgar wheat and sweet and plump apricots in place of chopped tomato. Give it a go next time you want something quick to fix!
Apricot Quinoa Salad
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa?
- 2 fresh apricots, cut into small dice
- 1 cup Persian or half an Armenian cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup micro greens of your choice ( I used broccoli sprouts)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Basil vinaigrette
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup virgin sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- In a blender combine the vinaigrette ingredients. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the quinoa, apricot, cucumbers and basil vinaigrette. Mix to combine well.
- Fold in the micro greens and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the salad.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.