A Moment of Science

Fragrant And Toxic

New research suggests that burning a candle may be toxic.

candle233

Photo: celikins (flickr)

A candle like this may seem calming but it actually is toxic to your health

You’ve probably smelled a fragrant candle before.  It may seem like a nice and relaxing idea.  However, if there’s no ventilation for the candle, the fumes emitted are toxic.

Why Is It Toxic?

Most fragrant wax candles are made from paraffin, which is a by‑product of petroleum.  According to one study, burning paraffin candles emits toxins–a little like burning gasoline indoors.

Stopping The Burn

Can a little scented candle be poisoning us?

No.  Burning a paraffin candle once in a while is OK because it’s only emitting a small amount of toxins.  But it still pollutes the air.  It’s when you light a lot of candles all the time that you run into bigger problems that can make you sick.  So if you’re really into candles, it’s better to use ones made from soy tflicor beeswax.

Stay Connected

What is RSS? RSS makes it possible to subscribe to a website's updates instead of visiting it by delivering new posts to your RSS reader automatically. Choose to receive some or all of the updates from A Moment of Science:

Support for Indiana Public Media Comes From

About A Moment of Science

Search A Moment of Science