WANTED: ON-AIR TELEVISION CO-HOST (Male)
WTIU, PBS television from Indiana University, is actively seeking a Male on-air co-host / presenter for its flagship weekly arts and cultural affairs television program – The Weekly Special The Weekly Special is entering its 9th season.
To receive an audition appointment on June 6 or 7, please submit a cover letter, resume, available web based work samples, and headshot photo – no later than May 24 – to:
WTIU TV – The Weekly Special
c/o Sarah Curtiss, Producer
IU Radio and Television Center
1229 East Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Applications will be accepted thru June 5, or until the position is filled.
Position: On Camera Male co-Host for arts and cultural affairs television program airing on WTIU in central and southern Indiana on cable, satellite, and broadcast television, as well as state-wide as part of the IPBS television system. Programs are also prominently featured on the The Weekly Special website.
Position Summary: Hosting the television program on camera, conducting interviews with a variety of guests, introducing pre-recorded video packages, and interacting with co-host and musical guests both in-studio and on location.
Reports to Producer, The Weekly Special.
- Studio Records are Tuesdays: 12:00pm – 4:00pm, approximately three times per month, schedule varies.
- Field ENG Records vary widely, approximately twice per month.
- Voice-over record sessions vary widely.
- Agreement is for one year (26 new programs), with annual renewal possibility. A written agreement is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- render artistic services in connection with the rehearsal, video recording, broadcast, web site, promotion, and social media of The Weekly Special (TWS).
- prepare in connection with the part or parts to be played/hosted.
- appear in public and/or via any transmission methods, including social media, to promote and further the outreach of TWS.
- participate in story idea generation, as well as in weekly program management meetings, either via telephone or in person.
- acknowledge the role is in the public light, and therefore Performer shall maintain public image, protecting the brand of The Weekly Special and WTIU at all times, including via social media, public appearances, and when working on non-WTIU projects.
- Present show topics and stories in an entertaining way with passion and opinion.
- Greet guests at studio and provide basic information about recording schedule.
- Pre-interview on-set guests prior to recording.
- Provide needed voice-over work prior to / following recordings.
- Work with Producer, Director, Co-host, and Staff to maintain and constantly improve overall “attitude” and production value of program.
- Conduct basic research necessary to conduct interviews and present topics and stories
- Provide own wardrobe / make-up.
- On-air television or radio reporting / hosting / co-hosting duties.
- Bachelors Degree in related field.
Requirements and General Skills:
- Active participation in pre-production; actively prepares, researches, writes, and uncovers story ideas
- Reliable transportation.
- Reliable, consistent, and timely access to email and telephone.
- Ability to project a professional image on the air and in person.
- Ability to project a strong interest in current events and local culture.
- Comfortable working with individuals of a variety of backgrounds and interests.
- Willingness to engage in on-camera “fun” (drive a go-kart, dress up for Halloween, etc.)
- Participate, via on camera Role, in all new programs creation (estimated 26 new programs per fiscal year).
- if Co-Host must miss participating on camera in a new Program creation (re. illness, vacation), Co-Host is required to provide a minimum of 72 hours written notice, to the Program Producer and Director of Educational & Production Services. In the event of needing to miss an assignment within 72 hours, Co-Host must provide as much notice as possible. Co-Host acknowledges the weight and impact of Co-Host Role on the program, and that missing scheduled record sessions is detrimental to the success of The Weekly Special.
- PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: WTIU – Studio 6, 1229 East Seventh Street, Bloomington, Indiana, and on a temporary basis, at such places outside of said Place of Performance (ie. “on location”), as the Producer may designate from time to time.
- Rate: $200, per each New Program with full on-camera participation.
- Estimated (26) new Programs per fiscal year (July 1 – end June): $5,200 total compensation per fiscal year, (if participating on camera in 26 new programs).
- Payments: are made Bi-Weekly, via Hourly IU-RTVS Employee status.
- A payment table can be made available from RTVS business office.